21 February 2011

A Day at the Beach

So. Yeah.

I'M IN JAPAN! 8D

After a long, looong journey by plane, subway, and Shinkansen, I arrived safely in my new home town in the south of Honshu (the main island). It's beautiful! By Japanese standards, it's rural, quaint, some might say "boring." But to me, it's my first introduction to Japan, and everything is new and exciting!! (Plus there's electricity, which is a step up from the African bush).

To be sure, this is a crazy place. Old, traditional culture still seeps through the modern facade of paved highways and high-rise buildings. In the grocery store, one can find green tea next to "CUP NOODLE," and packaged steak next to fresh fish. One of the best examples I've encountered so far was on the Shinkansen bullet train; a state-of-the-art veritable rocket, designed for both comfort and efficiency, so punctual you can time it with your own wristwatch. And yet, amidst all this technological glory, a bit of the old world shines through: as the middle-aged steward moves between the cars on his rounds, he stops at the doors and bows to the passengers before entering and leaving, showing respect. Truly, a sign that the Japanese are wizards at blending the past and future, creating a strange window on the present that is uniquely theirs.

Yesterday, I had the chance to visit the local beach with my friend. Yet another incredible sight! For this part of the story, I'll let the pictures describe the scene for me, since I'm not sure words could do it justice. (Also, I'm lazy ^_^)


The entrance to the beach through a cute evergreen forest.


The small mountains that surround the left side of the inlet.


More distant mountains, with the glory of the late-afternoon sun glistening on the smooth water. Gorgeous, ne?


My friend's favorite beachy past-time: collecting seashells!


On of the private fishing boats parked along the beach.

As you can see, I'm already having a blast here, soaking up the new sights and sounds of the city. And this is only my second day! Stick around for more exciting adventures and (not-so-exciting) ramblings as I get settled into my new apartment, job, and way of life. And thanks, as always, for the loving support :)

Until next time,
~Mich <3 ミッシ

1 comment: